- Lady Gaga's new single is called Scheiße. That's a self-fulfilling prophecy if ever I heard one. (via GagaDaily)
- Turns out that the new Strokes single is pretty darn good, harkening back to their Is This It days of duelling lead guitars and strong, soaring choruses. But the best news is that Under Cover Of Darkness is available to download for free - right now! - from the band's website. Off you trot (via Pitchfork)
- Now that new single was great and all, but what really brought a smile to my face was this:the good stuff happens about a minute in, where the Purple One tells Kim Kardashian to "get off stage". Why? Cause only one thing matters in a Prince concert, and that thing is Prince. So if you ain't moving, get moving. Brilliant (via Too Fab)
- Games publisher Activision have pulled the plug on their Guitar Hero and DJ Hero franchises, closing down their guitar hero business unit and any future productions. Being an avid gamer, this was an issue I needed to express myslef on - so I did, with the lovely Irene Scott for triple j's Hack. Even my messagebank got an airing on national radio. (via Gamespot and triple j)
- Speaking of triple j, Music Director Richard Kingsmill posted the results of the 101-200 rankings of triple j's recent Hottest 100 poll on his blog. Highlights include appearances from AMR faves Sleigh Bells, Janelle Monaé and a whole lot of Yeezy. Particular kudos to both Kimbra and Big Scary who, though they should have been much higher in the list in my opinion, charted with Settle Down at 125 and Falling Away at 167 respectively. (via Richard Kingsmill's twitter)
- Finally, new music from Icelandic goddess Björk has surfaced, Biophilia is - depending on who you believe - the title of her forthcoming album, the background music for a iPad app, a science fiction film with director Michel Gondry; or all of the above. Regardless, it's a rousing instrumental. (via Pretty Much Amazing)
Oh, and just a reminder from last post about the lil' ol' competition that's running.
All you have to do is come up with a witty musical-themed name for the new segment that is basically "Things I've Been Listening To Lately." email your idea, along with your name, mailing address and the subject line: AMR COMPETITION to email@example.com to be in the running for these lil' guys:
That's right you could be the proud owner of The Jezabels' Dark Storm and Big Scary's At The Mercy Elements, as well as the proud owner of the name you come up with for my new blog segment. Dig in. Entries close Sunday Feb 20th.