Nowadays musicians are mostly annoyed, annoying, or cheating on their partners (except Beyoncé and Paul Dempsey); less art - more ‘being kewl’ and ‘making bank’.
But perhaps it’s not their fault. Maybe they’re a product of their environment. Human iPod, cultural satirist, and music journo Al Newstead is a product of his, and he’s ready to blow the whistle/drop the bass on the industry's absurdities once more.
Returning for a third outing after two critically acclaimed shows, Al now shares his all-singing, all-stand-upping brand of comedy edutainment with a mysterious co-conspirator. The Oates to his Hall or the Yoko to his Lennon?
Anna O'Bryan makes Al's Music Rant 100% more female, which is an oppressive way of saying she's going to bring as much wisdom and wizardry where it is (sorely) lacking.
One thing's certain: intelligent wit and knowledgeable silliness in a multimedia experience that’ll have you rethink your stance on popular music.
Bookings and info at: http://www.melbournefringe.com.au
When: Sep 18th - 28th, 2013 (except Wed 25th)
9.30pm (Sun 8.30pm), 55min
Where: Tuxedo Cat - The Urchin, 17-23 Wills St
Full Price: $20.00
Group: $15.00 (per person for 4)
Facebook event here
Image: Judith Chamizo Illustration
Additional Praise For Al's Music Rant:
- Jhnosy Award Nominee - MICF 2012
- “Unmissable. The quality doesn’t dip.” - ★★★★ Herald Sun
- "A walking, talking opinionated jukebox that will blow you away" - Beat
- “Funny, intelligent and thoroughly entertaining” – Comedy BeastMagazine
- “His knowledge of the music industry and its genres is wide-ranging and seemingly all-encompassing” – Crikey
- “For those of you who despair about the state of the arts, you might just find yourself a new leader in Al Newstead.” – Artshub
- “His eye for the absurd marries perfectly with his shrewd ear.” – The Enthusiast
- "His persona allays fears that this will be a whiny hipster complaining for an hour.
- Al may be ranting, but his cynicism is suitable for more than a niche crowd." - Farrago